Best Cat Dewormer Without Vet Prescription
Interceptor Chewable Tablet For Dogs
The Interceptor Chewable Tablet For Dogs can also be used for cats. It is even suitable for kittens as early as six weeks old. This chewable tablet treats heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, and other conditions.
Because it is chewable, it should be easy for your cat to digest, although the problem with chewable tablets is that if your cat won’t readily take it, you will struggle to administer it. Tablets can be crushed but chewable tabs cannot. The product is reasonably priced, however, and enjoys positive results in most cats which ensures that it offers good value for money.
- Available from 6 weeks
- Broad-spectrum parasite medication
- Affordable price
- Cats may not like chewable tablets
- Tapeworm is not treated
Petarmor Dewormer Solution (The Safest Liquid Dewormer Solution For Sensitive Cats)
This cat dewormer by PetArmor is liked by cats all around the world regardless of their breed. It doesn’t matter if you have a Persian cat or a ragdoll. This best cat dewormer will eliminate all kinds of roundworms. The solution works quickly and is extremely effective.
Although one dosage of the cat dewormer will suffice, your pet might need another dose if they are infested by roundworms. The solution is composed of Diethylenediamine and Diethylenediamine tetra as well as Glycerine Sodium Methylparaben (Tuna Flavour), Water, and Glycerine Sodium Methylparaben (Diethylenediamine tetra). These chemicals won’t hurt your cat but will kill the worms in their intestines.
It is very simple to use. This product is suitable for cats 6 weeks old and older. To activate the ingredients, shake it and then add 1/2 teaspoon per five pounds of your cat’s body weight to the cat’s food. You don’t need to be concerned that your cat might reject the solution. You will need to confine your cat until the worms are gone.
- Works on all breeds
- Effective solution
- Chemically infused
- Tuna flavor
There are many reasons to deworm cats
There are several reasons why you should deworm your cat. Depending on the severity of the infestation, worms can be mildly annoying or life-threatening to your pet, especially to kittens. They can lead to anemia, severe diarrhea, vomiting, or even death. They can cause intestinal obstruction in kittens and can even be fatal.
Beyond that, worms — especially roundworms — can be transmitted to humans through bedding, furniture, your cat’s fur or the litter box. However, this can usually be prevented by having good hygiene habits such as by washing your hands regularly and using gloves when cleaning the litter box. Although they are not generally dangerous to people, they can cause irritation.
#1 Overall Best Dewormer For Cats: Revolution Plus Topical Solution
The Revolution plus topical solution for cats is our top choice for dewormers. It is designed for use in both cats and kittens who are at least 2 months old and weigh at least 5.6 pounds. Because it is a topical solution, Revolution plus is the easiest to apply of the other treatments here. Additionally, it has broad other benefits like killing fleas, ear mites, roundworms, and hookworms. It can be used for both kittens and cats.
Revolution Plus comes in three colors: gold, orange and green. Gold is suitable for 2.8 – 5.5lb cats, orange is suitable for 5.6 – 11lb cats, while green is appropriate for 11.1 – 22lbs. Please check your pet’s weight in order to make the correct product choice here.
Selamectin, sarolaner and other active ingredients are available in different amounts depending on the pet’s weight. The dosage for all box colors is the same. The entire contents should be administered by the owner once a month.
- Topical application is much easier than pills
- Wide appeal for prevention of ear mites and fleas.
- Easy regulation of dosage based on box type
If your cat is suffering from Toxocara Canis or Toxacaris Leonia, more commonly known as roundworms, try the Hartz Ultra Guard Rid Worm treatment. It is a mild but very effective liquid dewormer for roundworms. It is suitable for use in cats and kittens who are at least 8 weeks old.
Cats will find it easy to use the liquid formula. Simply mix the syrup in with food for your cat or dispense it directly into their mouth.
You’ll need to give two treatments with this dewormer to effectively rid your cat of worms. Two weeks should pass before the second treatment.
- Roundworms are the best option
- The liquid formula is easy to mix with cat food and guarantee a 100% ingestion
- Easy dosage, requiring only two treatments
Excel Roundworm Liquid Cat De-Wormer
Use for cats suffering from roundworm infestation
Roundworm infestation, as we have discussed before is the most common worm infection in cats in the USA. The Excel Roundworm Liquid Cat De-Wormer is an effective option for cat-owners who suspect their kitties of having contracted roundworms.
Each 5ml dose contains 250 mg of the active ingredient, piperazine, which paralyzes roundworms so that your cat can get rid of them through the passage of stool. The cat dewormer treatment has a delicious vanilla flavor to appeal to the taste-buds of both cats as well as kittens.
This medication is very simple to be administered. It can either be given directly or mixed with cat food. After 30 days, you may need to give another dose in order to prevent reinfestation.
Pet owners are advised to watch the dose as higher dosages can cause nausea and vomiting.
Side-effects: Stronger doses may cause nausea and vomiting.
- It’s easy to use.
- Piperazine is an active ingredient that paralyzes roundworms. Each 5-ml bottle contains piperazine, which allows your cat to pass the roundworms out of his stool.
- Has a vanilla flavor that both cats and kittens find very delicious.
- Vanilla may be repelling to some cats.
- This medicine is not recommended for cats and kittens under six weeks of age.
Buyer’s Guide: The Best Cat Dewormer
Your cat’s worms can cause discomfort for both you and your pet. These worms are most common in cat feces, but they can also be found in your cat’s bed or on their skin. Because they can slither out of your cat’s relaxed state, they are most common around the anus. Worms, when left untreated, can also cause serious distress and physical harm to your cat. Unfortunately, cats can and do pick up parasitic infestations regularly throughout their lives. Although it’s more prevalent in indoor cats than outdoor ones, they can still be caught up by parasitic infestations and need to be treated. Below are our reviews on the top 10 cat dewormers. Read more to learn how and where you can find them.
Excel Roundworm Dewormer (Our Best Budget Pick)
This cat de-wormer comes in a pack that has a child-resistant cap so that there will be no chance of a child swallowing the product when playing around. Excel’s Liquid dewormer makes it tenfold easy for the pets ‘owner to introduce it to his pet. The liquid consistency will make swallowing pills easy. This liquid dewormer can be used to make a paste out of cats’ foods or to give your pets the option to ingest it orally.
This product is sure to become your pet’s favorite. Amazon also offers a discount on your first order of the product. If you observe the symptoms of worms in our cats like loss of weight & energy, diarrhea, weakness, excessive hunger, etc then you must consult your vet and get a professional opinion and choose the best dewormer product for your cats.
The Best Features
- For large roundworms
- Liquid Consistency
- Simple to swallow
- No hassle of pill swallowing
- Packaging that is kid-friendly
Here’s a quick look at the Top 6 Cat Dewormers You Can Buy
Want a quick look at the products reviewed in this article? In the comparison table below, we’ve highlighted some of the most important features of each product. You’ll find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
- Safe and reliable, minimal side effects
- Easy to dose
- Used by veterinarians
- Safe for kittens and cats 6 weeks old and over
- Take with you food
- A trusted brand makes a well-respected product
- Roundworms are effectively controlled
- Affordable medication
- Side effects are uncommon
- Liquid formula that is easy to use
- Roundworms eliminated
- Safe for kittens and cats 6 weeks old and over
- Effective against four types of worms
- All-natural formula, chemical-free
- Easier to take in food and by the mouth
- Hookworms and roundworms are killed
- Excellent reputation for effectiveness and safety
- This is the ideal choice for cats that don’t want to take oral medication
Before we review Drontal and the rest of our top 6 recommendations, let’s talk about how dewormers work and the art of choosing a good one.
Bravecto Plus Topical Solution For Cats
Bravecto Plus Topical Solution for Cats is suitable for kittens aged 6 months or older, which is during the later stages of kittenhood. Although it is expensive, the treatment can protect your kitten for as long as two months.
Most owners like it because you can apply the product directly to your cat’s skin. However, some cats may find using a tube for application difficult. Fleas and ticks can affect all cats at one time or another. Fleas can be picked up even from indoor cats by their companion dogs or clothes.
- Treats fleas, ticks, heartworms, and hookworms
- Topical application
- Treatment lasts two months
- Doesn’t treat tapeworm
- For 6 months or more, only
Most of the medications that veterinarians prescribe and are available over-the-counter, including the ones prescribed for common conditions, have been synthetically manufactured and sometimes loaded with chemicals. All of these have to be tested so they can be deemed safe for animals. However, most of them have not been around long enough to show conclusively that they don’t have any long-term negative side effects.
Some people do not feel comfortable giving their pets something that could be unsafe. To avoid this, you can buy from companies that produce medication that is natural or made with all-natural ingredients. Often, they are herb-based and formulated from recipes and medicines created before synthetic processing was available.
The following intestinal parasites are some of the most common types of cat worms:
- Roundworms are the most widespread type of cat worm. Adult roundworms can grow to 3-5 inches in length in cats. They resemble wet spaghetti. Roundworms in cats can be transmitted via the nursing process, by feeding on an infected animal, or by contact with the infected feces of another animal.
- Tapeworms: Tapeworms in cats have long and flat 1/8 ” segmented bodies that can grow to 8 inches in length. Tapeworms in cats happen when a cat encounters or ingests a host that is carrying tapeworm eggs, like a bird or a flea.
- Hookworms: Hookworms in cats are the smallest of all common cat worms varieties. The small intestine is where hookworms live in cats. They grow to approximately one inch in length and feed on the blood. Hookworms can lead to life-threatening anemia in kittens and cats of any age. Hookworms are passed in the feces, and can infect other animals and people too.
- Whipworms: Whipworms in cats are about 1/4 ” long and reside in the cecum and colon. Whipworms can cause severe damage to these organs, and are considered one of the most harmful cat worms in existence, but are also more geographically distinct than other cat worms.
- Heartworms are found in heart and pulmonary veins. They are transmitted by infected mosquitoes, which migrate throughout the body over about 6 months before finally coming to rest in the circulatory system. Heartworms are transmitted only from an infected mosquito’s bite, and not within or between species. They are preventable and treatable, but can be fatal if not diagnosed and arrested before the advanced stages of infestation.
- Ringworm: Ringworm, or dermatophytosis, is a skin disease caused by a fungus that results in lesions and sores on the epidermal (or outer skin) layer. Interestingly enough, ringworm is not caused by a worm at all, but rather by an infection of dead layers of skin, hair and nails. Ringworm is curable, but treatment can take time and the condition can be very painful.
Of all these common types of cat worms, the two varieties veterinarians see and treat most often are roundworms in cats and tapeworms in cats.
The Best for Kittens: Drontal tablets For Cats 2-16 Lbs 50 Tablets
Drontal is a broad-spectrum dewormer for kittens and cats. The medicine comes as a tablet and can be used to treat many intestinal parasites such as hookworms and tapeworms. The medicine will work on destroying the parasites so your cat’s immune system and digestive system will then be able to remove them from the body.
Based on your cat’s weight, you can ask your veterinarian to help determine the right dose. Then, you can simply crumble the tablet and mix it into your pet’s food to make administration of this medicine easier. Otherwise, you can administer it by putting it directly into your pet’s mouth.
This dewormer is not appropriate for kittens that are younger than 2 months old. And it is only appropriate for cats weighing 2 to 16 pounds.
Always keep an eye out for any side effects when giving your cat any medication, including Drontal. Side effects for this product might include diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, incoordination, and salivation. Let your vet know right away if your pet experiences any side effects or is acting sick after you administer this medicine.
This listing refers to 50 Drontal tablets. You can also choose to take one of these tablets:
Types Of Worms In Cats
A wide variety of worms can infect your cat. Most intestinal worm infections can cause diarrhea, weight loss, vomiting, or changes in appetite. When worms become adults, they can become visible in the cat’s excreta or in the fur surrounding the tail.
To have your pet examined by the vet, you will need to bring a stool sample from your cat. This is done to examine the stool samples for worm eggs under a microscope.
The worm can be identified after studying the shape, size, and color of the eggs. Intestinal parasites can be gotten rid of using proper medication purchased over-the-counter or prescribed by the vet.
Johnsons Easy Wormer Granules
- Effective roundworm treatment for kittens
- Also treats some types of tapeworms
- Dosing is easy with pre-measured sachets
- Mixing in food makes it easy to use
- Most kittens have no side effects
- Only for kittens over 12 weeks old
- Salivation, vomiting and diarrhea occurs infrequently
Johnson’s Round Wormer Granules can be given exactly as it states on the package.
Simply weigh your kitten to work out how may sachets you need to give, and then mix the granules into your kittens canned food.
Make sure your kitten eats all the food containing the granules, otherwise dosing will not be effective.
>> Click Here to Read Additional Reviews, and Check Today’s Amazon Price
Bayer Dewormer for Tapeworms in Cats
The most prevalent form of parasitism in cats is tapeworms. They can be found in the cat’s stool, but you may be able to see them in its bedding or asleep. They are about the size of a grain of rice. Although rare, tapeworms can cause death in cats and kittens, especially if they are left untreated for a long time.
Bayer is an established brand in pet care and deworming. Their Dewormer for Tapeworms for Cats has been voted the top tapeworm medication for cats. It is reasonably priced, available without a prescription, and it can be used on kittens over the age of six weeks, as well as adult cats. Although it is a tablet that can be broken down into food, this medication can also be used for more difficult patients.
- Decent price
- Effective against tapeworms
- Useable for up to six weeks
- Tablet form
- Tapeworms are only controlled
Broad Spectrum Dewormers
A broad-spectrum dewormer is the best choice, as it’s not easy to determine which type of worm your cat has. Broad-spectrum dewormers contain a mix of both praziquantel and pyrantel pamoate, enabling them to destroy the most common intestinal parasites of cats.
These dewormers can have more side effects than worm-specific ones.
Other Best Cat Dewormers Without a Vet Prescription
There are many other options available if none of these three methods work for you. Here are some of our top alternative picks for the best cat dewormers on the market.
Elanco Tapeworm Dewormer (Praziquantel Tablets)
We choose the Elanco Tapeworm Dewormer, praziquantel tablet. This is our choice!
Revolution Topical Solution
- Combination deflea/dewormer
- Designed for kittens under 5lb
- Can be used as a heartworm preventative
- Side effects are rare
- Requires a Vet prescription
Revolution would be my choice if I were a kitten.
Its small volume allows for accurate dosing of young kittens from 6 weeks of age, and is topical, which means it’s very easy to apply, unlike some pills or liquids.
>> Tap Here To Read More Reviews and See Today’s Best Price on Chewy <<
How Often Do You Need To Give Your Cat A Dewormer?
It doesn’t matter which deworming treatment is used, they won’t last forever. You’ll need to check the instructions on the packaging to determine the frequency of application required for an infestation.
How Can You Tell If Your Cat Has Worms?
A. A. However, if your cat is suddenly vomiting, coughing or has white pieces in its feces, it might have worms. A dull or yellowing of the cat’s skin, changes in its appetite, and a large potbelly are all signs that your cat has worms. When in doubt, speak with a vet.
Does My Cat Need Deworming?
So how do you know if your cat has got worms? There are a few clues to help you answer these questions:
Not only can they make your cat sick, but also make you and others sick!
Diseases such as VLM and OLM are cause by worm larvae migrating their way through human organs.
These human infections can be prevented with some simple hygiene steps:
- Deworm your cat regularly with a Broad Spectrum dewormer
- Only feed your cat cooked or processed foods
- Wash your hands after handling your cat, preparing raw meat, or washing litter trays
- Children’s sandboxes should not be used for litter boxes
How to apply cat dewormers
If you need to provide your cat with a treatment for worms or fleas, there are usually multiple options available. For more complicated worms, tablets are the best option. However, you might be able to access liquids and gels too. Some of the most typical options for application include:
It’s perfectly normal to struggle to get your cat on their medication. These two articles are full of useful tips for medicating your cat.
Cat Worms: The Top 5 Most Common Types
There are many types of worms that can enter a cat’s system. Are you concerned that your cat might have them? Check out some of the most common ones diagnosed and treated by veterinarians: