Best Wet Cat Food
Ingredients To Look For
The following ingredients should be used in high-quality wet food:
- At least 35% of any meat suitable for the cats. This should appear first in the ingredient list. This ingredient should be specific and not an abstract punk meat or poultry. Cats with allergies to chicken should not eat it. Cats with allergies to chicken should opt for canned foods made from fish, turkey or lamb.
- A combination of powerful antioxidants that promotes immune system health
- Natural DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which supports the development of the brain and vision. As the main structural element of the brain, DHA is crucial for vision and the central nervous system’s development.
- Fatty Acids-for healthy nervous system and immune function as well as healthy skin and shining coat.
- Easily digested carbohydrates for energy;
- No more than 10% of offal. Under this term can be hidden anything: skin, low-value parts of the carcass, and even the garbage from the slaughterhouse;
- No more than 25% of vegetable ingredients. Starch and corn are particularly undesirable.
- Taurine is given at 0.2g/100g feed. This important substance cannot be synthesized in the cat’s bodies.
- Vitamins: E and C (safe as preservatives), group B;
- Calcium and phosphorus are two examples of trace elements.
Friskies Shreds In Gravy Canned Cat Food
We were initially attracted by the low price of Friskies Shreds In Gravy. Moreover, they come in large 5.5-ounce cans, offering an even better value for the price. Despite this, quality ingredients are used in the production of this food. These include liver, chicken and beef. Although there are many animal-based proteins available to give you a variety of amino acids, the overall protein content here is only 9%.
You’ll see that many of the vitamins and mineral in the blend come from supplemental sources. Worse still, artificial flavors and subpar ingredients such as wheat gluten are used. Taurine content is just 0.05% while moisture content is 82%. All in all, we think that Friskies Shreds in Gravy is sub-par wet cat food, even if the price is attractive.
Wellness Core Signature Chooses Wet Cat Food
If you’re looking for premium nutrition, you’ll certainly find it in Wellness CORE Signature Selects wet cat food, but you should expect to pay an arm and a leg for it. Despite the outrageously high price of this cat food, it’s mostly water. The moisture content of this food is 85%, which certainly doesn’t leave much room for nutrients. Blends that have less than 80% moisture are preferred, particularly when they are this pricey!
Still, there’s no question about the quality of the ingredients used in Wellness CORE Signature Selects. The very first ingredient listed in this recipe is tuna. In the five primary ingredients, you’ll also find mackerel and salmon, which is a major testament to just how many premium animal-based protein sources make up this food.
In addition to the ample protein sources on the ingredient list, you’ll also find sunflower oil, which provides loads of essential fatty acids. Most of the ingredients are whole foods, though you’ll also find some added minerals and vitamins to ensure a complete nutrient profile.
There are many types of wet food for cats
You can divide wet cat food into various categories based on its quality.
- Economy: The most affordable and common type. They are not recommended for use in pet food. Low-quality materials are used in the production of these feeds (while large amounts of advertising dollars are spent).
- Premium feed is made with higher quality raw materials. The developers balance the product well. However, information in the packaging may not be always accurate or clear.
- Super-premium – high quality, natural raw materials are used in the production, the necessary vitamins and minerals are added, the content of carbohydrate, protein, and fat are well balanced (often manufacturers produce various lines designed for specific types of cats. There are therapeutic feeds available for neutered and sterilized long-haired pets, as well as for spayed and neutered cats.
- Holistic food usually of the highest quality. This food is well-balanced and contains high-quality whole foods. They often contain therapeutic lines, which are of such high quality that they can be safely eaten by anyone.
The price is not always an indicator of quality. Even the best food may contain inferior quality ingredients. This categorisation reflects the exact quality of the products produced using certain technologies and a particular quality of raw material.
According to their intended purpose, wet food is divided into products intended for ongoing nutrition (containing all the necessary substances, useful additives) and treats (an insufficiently balanced diet). Treats don’t provide complete nutrition, but they can be used to pamper your pet, help survive stress, or persuade you to take medicine.
There are also therapeutic foods meant to be fed for specific health conditions, such as weight loss, kidney or liver disease, or diabetes. They are designed in such a way as to provide the body with everything necessary in particular circumstances.
Wet food can also come with different consistencies and textures. It can be stew, pate, pieces in the sauce, and other forms.
After opening their original package, wet rations must be kept in the fridge. They retain their flavor for approximately 48 hours after being opened. It is best to not store them longer than that. It is better to warm the food up than to feed it to cats, as it will be more digestible for them. Remember to regularly wash your pet’s bowl and rinse it thoroughly with clean water, as food leftovers can attract bacteria and midges. 
Blue Buffalo True Solutions Fit & Healthy Wet Cat Food
We really like this weight-control cat food option from Blue Buffalo because it is formulated with L-carnitine which helps felines achieve and maintain a healthy weight. The food is also rich in fiber which may help cats stay fuller longer. To top it all off, this is a moderate-calorie formula that is really designed to help cats slim down. We dig the natural ingredients, the science-based formulas, and the moderate calories in this wet cat food.
- L-carnitine is added to maintain healthy weight.
- Cat food with moderate calories
- All-natural ingredients used
- Enriched with fiber to help cats feel fuller.
- AAFCO approved for complete and balanced nutrition.
Consider These Things
- The only flavor available is chicken.
- It is more expensive than other wet cat food.
Purina Pro Plan Classic Adult True Nature Natural Turkey & Chicken
Purina Pro Plan Classic Adult True Nature meets the natural needs of your cat. This grain-free formula contains real turkey and chicken. The feed does not contain any unnecessary ingredients, like corn, soy or wheat.
A high-quality pet protein supply provides energy for a happy and healthy life. Every serving supplies your pet essential vitamins and minerals including taurine. This diet provides your furry pet with everything they need for an active life.
The key features
- It contains omega-6 fatty acid.
- Natural Recipe
- Proudly manufactured in USA.
- Healthy nutrition
- Plus Essential Nutrients.
Fancy Feast Seafood Feast Variety Pack Canned Cat Food
Some cats won’t eat chunky wet foods. If this is the case, the Fancy Feast Classic Seafood Feast Variety Pack Canned Cat Food can be a great choice! The four delicious flavors include salmon feast, cod, sole, shrimp and salmon, as well as ocean whitefish, tuna, oysters, and tuna.
Besides real meat as the first ingredient, these blends include meat by-products. This pack is priced at an affordable price. By-products provide a good source of protein and are great for pets. These formulations are grain-free and made in the U.S.A. by a brand that you can trust to provide optimal nutrition for your cat.
- Real meat as the first ingredient
- Palatable pate-style texture
- Good value for money
- Contains meat by-products
Your wet cat food will have to contain preservatives otherwise it wouldn’t have a very good shelf life and it would go off. Wet cat food must be consumed quickly after it has been opened. Always check the labels. This is one disadvantage of dry cat food. However, unopened wet cat food can sit on the shelf for quite some time, and this is because of the preservative it has in it.
So, while you shouldn’t be alarmed there are preservatives in your cat’s food, you should always look for a cat food that has natural preservatives on the ingredients list instead of artificial preservatives. A great natural preservative is salt or vitamin E. Preservatives you should stay away from include BHA and BHT.
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Egg Product, Peas, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Menhaden Fish Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Pate Cat Food
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Pate Variety Pack is an easy choice. The variety pack includes three delicious flavors, including salmon, chicken and duck. Each of these has a high protein content due to the use of real meat as the first ingredient. The meat comes with healthy vegetables and fruits to supplement it.
The grain-free formula is specifically designed to satisfy the nutritional needs of an obligate carnivore cat. This food is free from gluten, meat by-products, wheat, and soy, and it doesn’t use any artificial flavors or preservatives either.
- The first ingredient is real meat
- Grain free
- Enhanced with vegetables and fruits
- There are no meat byproducts
- We can’t see it all.
Reasons To Avoid
Purina is a trusted brand in luxury cat food. While we would like to emphasize that there are plenty of more affordable brands that give your cat a healthy and balanced diet – you will know this anyway if you’ve read all the entries above this one – there’s nothing wrong with pampering your pet a bit in the food department.
The cat food comes with several central ingredients, such as turkey, lamb, duck and tuna. It also includes jelly or gravy that will keep your cat coming back for more. There are absolutely no flavorings or artificial preservatives, as you would probably hope for, considering the price.
The diet is 100% balanced, so it hasn’t earned its ‘gourmet’ tag for nothing. No expense has been spared to make sure that this is both healthy and tasty.
Inevitably, this means that you’re paying a premium for this. This is one case where cats might not enjoy it. If they get it as a treat for one, there’s a good chance that they will never want anything else.
This isn’t necessarily a negative thing if you are willing to pay the cost. Purina has earned its reputation with products like this.
Wellness Complete Health Turkey & Salmon
Wellness Complete Health Turkey & Salmon is an organic and grain-free cat food. The Wellness CORE canned food, which is grain-free and organic, will delight your pet’s taste buds with its delicate texture and original flavor. The main ingredients are high-quality salmon and turkey protein to maintain your pet’s energy and strength.
The feed contains flaxseed to maintain a healthy skin and coat. The formula also contains vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and taurine to help support immunity.
Canned Wellness foods are a great source of protein and essential fats. They can be made from meat that does not contain steroids and growth hormones.
The key features
- Helps promote proper urinary tract function.
- For eye and heart health.
- Fortified with vitamins, minerals
- High quality meat.
- Taurine was added.
- Vitamins and antioxidants are included.
- Some cats dislike the flavor of the food.
- Certain cats don’t like the taste of food.
Tiny Tiger Chunks Extra-Gravy Beef & Poultry Canned Cat Food
Tiny Tiger Choks in EXTRA Gravy Beef & Poultry Recipes Variable Pack Grain Free Canned Cat Food is our favorite canned food. This food contains a meat-based broth as the first ingredient, to offer excellent moisture levels to keep your cat hydrated. Then comes real meat protein.
This canned cat food is extremely palatable, and most cats love the blend of meat chunks and tasty gravy. The canned cat food is completely non-GMO and does not contain thickener carrageenan. If you want to give your cat more options, there are other flavours available.
- Contains real meat
- Palatable texture
- Other flavors also available
- Small cans can create a great deal of waste
Instinct Original Grain-Free Wet Canned Pate Cat Food
It is an all-foods choice for your cat and will keep them busy until dinnertime. The included chicken, turkey, and liver not only have superior taste but are also high-quality sources of protein to keep your cat strong throughout life. Peas, carrots, and blueberries are included to protect the eyes, brain, and immune system.
The best canned cat food contains omega fatty acid in the form fish oil. This helps to protect your heart health and reduce the risk of developing kidney disease. Made in the United States, this food is free of soy, wheat, and animal by-products. This pate has one problem. It is a bit thicker than what some cats and kittens can handle. Mixing it with some water can solve this problem. This is why we still consider this the best cat food.
How about Grain-Free Foods?
Both dry and canned foods now bear the label of grain-free, as corn, soy and wheat have fallen out of fashion in recent years. Grain-free foods were considered healthier than traditional food before 2019. That changed in 2019. That’s when the FDA announced an investigation into grain-free food’s potential link to dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM).
Some vets have advised their patients to avoid eating grain-free foods since hearing the news.
But there’s good news for those who feed their cats wet food–there’s a big difference between grain-free kibble and grain-free wet food. Unlike dry cat food, most grain-free wet foods are free of the legumes that are most often included in grain-free kibble. These ingredients are not present in grain-free food so there is little reason to be concerned.
It is still a good idea to exercise caution. Dr. Sarah Wooten (DVM, CVJ) advises against giving legumes to dogs. She says that until the causes of heart disease in dogs who are on certain diets that do not contain grains can be determined, “I would recommend that you avoid any food that contains lentils and peas in your diet, even though there have been no similar problems with cats.”
Learn more about the FDA’s investigation here.
It is quite simple but it is important to ensure that the company you purchase the food from has a good reputation. If you can, choose cat food made in America. The FDA regulates cat food made in America so that you can be sure it’s safe. Avoid any company who is vague about the ingredients or does not provide detailed information.
Best Inexpensive Wet Cat Food For Adult Cats
- The product comes with an ingredient seal of high quality
- Complete, balanced nutrition
- Vitamins B1,B2,B3,B5,B6,B7,B9 & B12
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin D3
- Ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate
- You can adjust the portion size; after opening, it can be sealed up and kept at room temperature.
The Key Features
- Wholesome poultry and beef combinations
- A complete and balanced diet
- Seal in keep-fresh, easy-open cups
A Quick Glance At The Winners Of 2022
- Human-grade ingredients
- No preservatives
- Protein-rich diet
- Suitable for most cats with allergies and sensitivities
- Optimal digestion and nutrient absorption
- Holistic formula
- Features chicken and liver for protein
- Support for the immune system through whole-foods
- Excludes artificial ingredients
- Made in the United States
- Natural sources of omega fatty acids
- Made with chicken, turkey, and liver for delicious flavor
- Made with real chicken breast and broth
- 16% crude protein
Ingredients To Look For In Wet Cat Food
You now know the things you need to look for in wet cat food. Now it’s time to examine what ingredients your cat food will contain.
Our Review Process
The best canned, soft, and wet cat food is like a freshly-killed mouse in a can. It’s juicy and delicious while providing all the protein, fat, and micronutrients your cat needs to stay fit and frisky.
It doesn’t contain excessive carbohydrates, cheap fillers, or additives that might harm your cat. And of course, it comes from a company with a reputation for safety and customer satisfaction.
Instinct Limited Ingredient Wet Cat Food
- There are only one ingredient in each recipe: one vegetable and one protein.
- Novel protein like rabbit available.
- Made without grain, dairy, eggs, wheat, or soy.
- There are three flavors available.
- AAFCO approved.
- Made in the USA.
Consider These Things
- It may not be possible to solve the cat’s digestion problems depending on their cause.
- There are additional ingredients and fillers. Before you buy, read the label.
- Like all other wet cat food, should be kept refrigerated once opened.
Lifestage Of Your Cat
Cats at different life stages will have different nutritional needs. For instance, fast-growing young kittens will need to consume more protein and fat in their diet than an adult cat will. Elderly cats will need less protein but simultaneously require a diet with high-quality protein.
How To Introduce New Wet Food To Your Cat?
The owner must give to cat new food gradually for at least 7 days. You can mix the old and the new by gradually increasing or decreasing the old food each day.
Tiki Cat Luau Wet Food
- Ingredients for high-quality fish and poultry.
- There are many recipes available.
- There are no fillers or byproducts.
- Non-GMO, gluten-free and grain-free ingredients
- Packed in broth for added moisture and nutrition.
Consider These Things
- Should be served at room temperature.
- It should be kept refrigerated immediately after being opened, as with all wet cat food.
- These are not pate recipes. They are chunks of fish and poultry.